Our Mission Statement:
The Faith Formation is committed to providing opportunities for spiritual growth through education, instruction and training on diverse topics from a faith perspective and utilizing a wide variety of media.
Faith Formation has done the following things:
- Advent and Lenten Devotionals
- Blessing of Animals
- Sponsor Faith Sharing Groups
- Marriage Retreat
- 3rd Roman Missal Workshop
Pope John XXIII
Survey March 2013
Responses were solicited from each household (only one response per household). There were 104 survey responses.
Here is a recap of the demographics of the respondents:
- Seventy-three percent (73%) of the respondents indicated that they were a household of either 1 or 2 parishioners.
- That correlates with the fact that respondents were primarily households without children (only 28 out of 104 respondents indicated that they had children (under age 18) in their home.
- Ninety-five percent (95%) of respondents go to mass weekly and 98% attend at Pope John XXIII.
- Eighty percent (80%) of respondents attend mass on Holy Days of Obligation.
- One-hundred percent (100%) of adult respondents have been baptized.
- Of those with children, one-hundred percent (100%) of the children have been baptized.
- Of those with children, only 1 child (of age) has not been confirmed.
- Only forty-four percent (44%) of respondents regularly receive the sacrament of reconciliation.
Many of the questions asked for a “numerical” response. In the first section of six questions, the respondents were asked “how have the following areas of parish life met your needs?”. Of those six questions…
- The area where the highest percentage of respondents are satisfied with parish life is “Homilies”, where 80% of respondents were somewhat or very satisfied.
- The area where the highest percentage of respondents are unsatisfied with parish life is “Music selections during mass”, where one-third (33%) of respondents were either somewhat unsatisfied or not at all satisfied. Even in this case, that means two-thirds of respondents were neutral or positive about the music.
In the second section of 20 numerical questions the respondents were asked “how likely are you to participate in the following activities?”. Of those 20 questions…
- The activities where the respondents are most likely to participate (highest combined 4 and 5 scores, each of these represent over 2/3 of respondents) were:
- Personal/private prayer. (82% scores of 4 or 5)
- Understanding Church teaching (Tradition). E.G. Understanding the meaning behind Church rituals; practices that have changed over the years and the important aspects of the Faith that remain unchanged. (76% scores of 4 or 5)
- Understanding the Mass/Eucharist/other Sacraments. (71% scores of 4 or 5)
- Communal prayer at our parish. E.G. Rosary, Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, Stations of the Cross. (70% scores of 4 or 5)
- Understanding the Bible and how to read/study it. (68% scores of 4 or 5)
- The two areas where respondents were least enthused (these had both the lowest combined 4 and 5 scores and the highest combined 1 and 2 scores) were:
- Utilize a faith mentor with whom to share.
- Parish men’s group
Regarding the question “What kind of learning experience works best for you?”, respondents view “small group meetings” most favorably (85%), followed by “Learning materials I can use in my own home” (79%).
As to the question “what times fit best with your schedule?”, the following answers are ranked from most popular to least popular:
Weekdays in the evening……….69%
Sunday afternoon/evening……. 64%
Weekdays during the day……… 54%
Primary Contact: Bob Zeman
Volunteers Needed: No
Meets on: 2nd Wednesday of each Month at 7:00 p.m.